Yes, it really is! Clockify is the only time tracker that's free for teams of all sizes. You and your team can use Clockify without ever paying a cent, even if you have hundreds of users! Use it as much as you want, for as long as you want, and we won’t charge a cent.
Different people track time for different purposes:
- Individuals (like students and creatives) track time to see where their time goes so they can manage time better in the future and improve their productivity
- Agencies, freelancers, and consultants track time in order to:
- Know how much time they've spent working for different clients
- See how much they've earned and what they need to bill
- Have proof of work when they need to justify their hours
- Companies track time in order to:
- Measure project capitalization and control project costs by identifying which projects bring in the most money
- Better utilize resources by tracking who can take on more tasks and who's overbooked
- Know how to budget resources for various projects by looking where resources have previously went
- Make estimates of how long things will take by looking at past data and seeing how long tasks typically take
- Know much you need to pay hourly workers
- See who worked overtime so employees can be fairly compensated
- Show management how many hours different things take up so you can agree on future workload based on actual data
Is it possible to have some users on a free plan, and some on a paid plan? Or to combine different paid plans?
It's not possible to have some users on a free plan, and some on a paid plan. The upgrade is per the number of active users you have in the workspace.
It's also not possible to combine different paid plans in the same workspace.
To change currency, click on Settings in the left sidebar. When in the Workspace settings under the currency instead of "USD" type your own currency (eg. GBP). If the system recognizes your currency, it will display that currency’s symbol in bar charts; if not, it will display what you’ve typed.
Absolutely! You can try out all the extra features (except for SSO, Custom subdomain, Control user account, Audit log) for free for 7 days, no credit card required.
To activate the free trial, log in to your Clockify account and click on this link OR click on the "Upgrade" button in the top right corner and then on the "Activate free trial now".
Free trial is available only in workspaces that never had extra features activated. If you can’t find the "Activate free trial now" link, it means that particular workplace is no longer eligible for the free trial (you’ve either used it up, have a paid subscription, or had the subscription active in the past).
If you still wish to try out the features but don’t see the free trial link, you can create a new workspace and activate the free trial there.
If you wish to see entries in chronological order rather than grouped, you can turn the grouping off:
- Click on the profile icon in the upper right corner and open Profile Settings
- Check/uncheck the "Group similar time entries" option
You can create invoices from your tracked billable time directly in Clockify. Just enable "Invoicing" in workspace settings, create an invoice, and import your tracked time into the invoice. All imported billable time will be automatically marked as invoiced so you don't accidently bill hours twice.
Everyone in your team will get a notification that screenshots are enabled in the workspace.
Screenshot can only be captured if you have the screenshot recording app installed and running (Windows/Mac). Screenshots are captured only while the timer is running.
Screenshots are being captured no matter the app type (web, extension, desktob, mobile) where the timer was started.
While it's not possible to merge projects, you can find entries of one of the projects you want to merge and assign it to the other project in the Detailed report.
Then, simply archive and delete the project you don't need.
Yes, you can change the workspace owner when you go to the Team page, click the three little dots near the team member’s name whom you would like to set as the new Owner and select “Transfer ownership”.
To stop some else's timer, you can deactivate the user on the Team page and then reactivating them. Another option if you're on the Enterprise plan and the workspace owner, you can log in as this user. Go to the Accounts tab and click on log into another person's account and directly stop the timer.
Sure, directly edit your team members' details yourself, without having to ask or wait for them to update it. Profile editing is an extra feature, which you can enable by upgrading your workspace to any of the paid plans.
If you're using our free plan, your users will be able to edit their names on their own from their Profile settings (hover over profile picture and click Settings). This name is visible across multiple workspaces.
First, you have to mark each project as billable (to do this open a project, click on a Project Settings tab and toggle Billable by default to Yes).
Then, each time you select the project in the time tracker, time will be marked as billable without you having to mark it as such.
You can also hide billable status and sign from regular users in workspace settings so regular users can't see or change billable status of their time entries.
Also, you can set "New projects are by default: Billable" in workspace settings so you don't forget to mark each project as billable.
How can I can see an overview of all users and check who has not completed the minimum weekly hours?
You can run the Weekly report and group it by user. The total at the bottom will show you how much everyone tracked that week.
You can also see who tracked how much time in the Summary report (once you group it by user). There you can also choose a custom date in the upper right corner if you wish to see the hours by user for a specific period of time.
There are also targets and reminders feature, which will alert your team members about their missing time logs (eg. they'll get an email saying "You've tracked less than x hours last week").
You can get all your invoices by clicking on the Subscription button in the sidebar and then switching to the Invoices tab. There, you'll see Past Billing statements where you can download your invoices
If you can't select projects in the project picker, go to the Workspace settings and look for "Do not allow saving time without..." line then check if you have Task as a required field enabled.
If Task is a required field, projects without any tasks will appear in the picker, but they'll have the "no access" symbol and you won't be able to select them.
To fix the issue, simply create tasks on a project or uncheck Task as a required field.
If you have standardized projects and have multiple clients attached to them, in that case, it's better to use tasks instead of the Client field. Then, when tracking time, select the project and the corresponding task based on who's the client.
Another solution (perhaps even better) is to use tags. Tags work regardless of the project so you can create one tag, use it on multiple projects, and filter reports based on them. You can even use multiple tags to filter reports with more precision.
Lastly, the most powerful solution is to use custom fields on projects, where you can define a field with options, and then associate projects with options.
Once you give manager rights, project managers can go to the Projects page, open a project and there they should be able to see the Status tab.
Clicking on it will show them the project status. This Status tab shows up either if you're an admin or a project manager.
Yes, we have a feature called Expenses, more about the feature can be found on this link.
You can account for break time in several ways:
- Create a separate project where you'll put all time entries for breaks (eg. spent 5h on ProjectA, 3h on ProjectB, and 1h on project Breaks).
- Create a "break" tag. Then employees can create a 1h time entry, leave it without a project, mark as nonbillable, and attach "break" tag. Later in reports, you can filter out entries with the "break" tag to calculate payroll or billable hours.
- Mark break time as nonbillable so you can filter reports by billable status
All time entries stay in the system and are displayed in the reports, no matter if a user is deleted/inactive, or if the project is archived or the task marked as done (entries disappear only when deleted manually, either by the user who created them or by admin).
You can see the time entries of deleted/inactive users in the e.g. summary report when you group it by user and export the full report.
- Use filters to filter out data
- Customize report (choose date range, grouping, sort, rounding, show/hide amount)
- Click on the share icon (located between Print and Rounding)
- Enter report name (this will be displayed as a title of the report in the header and in PDF export)
- Choose who can open link (public/private) and whether date range can be changed (lock dates)
- Click “Create Link”
- Copy the link and send it to others
Your client can't edit anything but they can see the time as you track on their projects, export data, and change grouping options and timeframe.
While it's not possible to manually input time while your timer is running you can use the duplicate option of a previous entry.
This will create a new time entry exactly as the previous one and you can change the details of that entry to whatever you need.
If you notice that something doesn't work as it should, contact us directly and we'll get back to you within 24h . Be sure to describe the malfunction in detail and give us step-by-step instructions on how we can reproduce the issue (screenshots and videos help greatly).
Yes, you can export all your data any time you want. Simply go to Detailed report, choose the biggest time frame possible, and click export CSV (you can automate this with 3rd-party services, like Coupler).
CSV export of Detailed report contains all the data you need to recreate your data from scratch if the need ever arises, or if you just need a reference on how your data looked like before.
We make regular backups, but they're for infrastructure disaster recovery purposes. We don't offer per account recovery for user-generated activities (eg. someone deletes their workspace or accidentally overwrites their time entries).
It's possible to import your exported CSV file back into the system.
- Importing a list of projects, tasks, tags, and clients is available to all users.
- Importing timesheets is available to users on any plan paid plan
If you're computer savvy and know your way around the command line, you can use one of the two unofficial Toggl to Clockify importers. The project is developed and maintained by 3rd a party developer, so use it at your own discretion.
If you can't log in, click the Forgot Password on the login screen. If you're logged in, you can change your existing password in your Profile Settings (just hover over the Settings in the sidebar and click Profile). If you've logged in with Google, but didn't set a password, you can do so in your Profile Settings.
To cancel your subscription: Click Subscription in the sidebar and click "Cancel Subscription" at the bottom of the page.
You can delete your account here: https://clockify.me/user/settings/delete
Completely safe. Your Clockify data is hosted on Amazon Web Services, so it's as secure as it can get. Our servers are protected both physically and electronically. Any connection between you and Clockify is protected by 256-bit SSL encryption. Read more about Clockify security here.
Although we make regular backups, they’re for infrastructure disaster recovery purposes. We don't offer per account recovery for user generated activities (eg. someone deletes their workspace or accidentally overwrite their time entries). Which is why it’s best to export your entries in CSV each month, for personal backup.
- Clockify is a manual timer and time logger, meaning it has data that you put in it (both regarding what you're working on and when you're working).
- Clockify has idle detection but it just sends you a personal note (if you turned it on manually in profile settings) through the browser add-on or desktop app (admins can't see that you were idle).
- Clockify has auto track feature to show you how much time you spend on apps and websites, but all data is local on your computer and only viewable to you (admins can't access data).
- Clockify has screenshot recording and location tracking features, but they need to be explicitly enabled by admins. When they're enabled, all users receive a privacy notification. Only mobile app collects location data (if allowed on device), and desktop app collects screenshots (if installed and running).
- You can also delete your account and all the data in it any time you want.
The main data location is Frankfurt, Germany. But, we have caching mechanisms that enable fast data access in other parts of the world too for performance purposes, which means data is NOT exclusively stored in Germany but across multiple servers (so that Clockify loads faster in case you have team members accessing the system from another part of the world).
We use AWS for cloud infrastructure, which is a US-based company with servers around the world. This ensures lightning fast data delivery so that no matter where you are, your data loads instantly in Clockify from the server that's closest to you.
In case your company has strict data privacy and compliance regulations, we offer Server edition, where you get a copy of Clockify that you can install and keep on your own servers for maximum privacy and security.
Data is stored indefinitely until you delete your account (or until the workspace owner deletes the workspace or their account).
When a user already has an account, they need to accept your workspace invitation inside Clockify (and not via email) by clicking on the notification (bell icon) in the upper right corner.
Once they accept the invite, they can switch to your workspace (and delete their own workspace) and start tracking time on your workspace.
The email you used to create the account and the email your team used to invite you need to be the same. If they're not the same, log out of the account you've created and click the invite again to create a different account using the email address your team used to invite you.
If you already have the account, just log in and hover over notifications. You should be able to see and accept the invite from there.
After that, hover over your profile image and switch to your team's workspace (or go to Workspaces and activate your team's workspace so you can start tracking time for your company).