You can mass import projects, clients, tasks, and tags to Clockify from a file. This feature is available on the free plan. Only admins can import data.
If you have a paid subscription, you can also import time entries.
How to import data #
- Go to Settings > Import tab
- Click "Upload CSV file" and select file from your computer
- Review how many items will be created and click "Start import"
- When finished, you'll get a confirmation message
Required CSV format #
- Values need to be comma-separated
- Columns must have headers in English. Values: Client, Project, Task, Tags
- Maximum file size is 1 MB
CSV file example #
You can create a CSV file: By opening an Excel file and then go "Save as" and choose CSV format; or by opening a plain text editor (like Notepad) and putting headers in the first row (where you separate values with a comma), and listing values in new rows.
Project, Client, Task, Tags
- File can have a single column or their combination (task column requires at least project column)
- If you don't group projects by Client, the column name must match what you've set in workspace settings (eg. department, category…)
- The order of the columns is not important. Names are case sensitive.
- Multiple tags can be imported by surrounding tags in double quotes and separating with a comma (eg. "tag1, tag2, tag3")
- If an item already exists, it will be skipped during the import. Only items that don't already exist will be created.
- When you upload a file, it will be first analyzed. If there's an error, you'll get a message and won't be able to proceed.
- You can import only projects, clients, or tags by creating a CSV file with a single column.
- You can import projects and their respective client by including both columns.
- If you import tasks, you need its project column.
- Projects will inherit initial private/public and billable/non-billable status based on "New projects are by default" workspace settings.
Max character limits #
- Description: 3,000
- Task: 1,000
- Project: 250
- Client: 100
- Tag: 100
Importing multiple tasks #
You can import multiple tasks for the same project by including an additional line for the same project and specifying a different task.
You can also add a task in bulk to existing projects:
- Go to Summary report
- Group by Project / (None)
- Select a long date range
- Export as CSV
- Open CSV in Excel or Google Sheets
- Delete time columns
- Add Task column and write new task name everywhere
- Save as CSV
- Import the new CSV file