Time Card Calculator
What are Time Cards?
A Time Card is a card with time clock stamps used to record the start and end times of the employee's work day.
Specifically, the employees enter their start time for that day, the end time, total hours worked, and overtime, if any, into the Time Card template. Some Time Card templates also require and record the employee's lunch break, alongside the listed data.
Each such line of data is a time entry - depending on whether you work on weekends or not, you'll probably have 5-7 time entries per week.
The employees can enter all this data manually (e.g. in a templated word or excel sheet, or a paper Time Card template).
Download time card / timesheet templates
Or, they can use a Time Card calculator. You can make your own Time Card calculator in Excel from a template, but you'll have to define your own formulas, which can be time consuming and bring less accurate results - so, it's best that you use an automatic Time Card calculator to speed up and streamline the process.
This Time Card calculator works as an employee time clock app that helps you keep employee attendance records.
In a way, it also works as an elapsed time calculator - an hourly calculator that helps you calculate hours and minutes worked between two times in a day, or two dates in a week.
Essentially, it's also a timesheet calculator with lunch break time included (usually 30 minutes) - this lunch break time is automatically deducted from the work hours in the total calculation.
How to use time card / timesheet calculator
Calculating work hours
To total your weekly hours, enter start/end time (or them select from the dropdown), enter how much time you've spent on the break, and the calculator will automatically calculate the result. You can enter time in AM/PM format, or you can switch to 24h format in Options. You can quickly navigate from one field to another using Tab. When the tab is is focus on the dropdown, you can press up and arrow keys to increment the time.
Deducting break time
You can enter how much time you've spent on a break, which will be deducted from your total hours. Alternatively, you can specify exact time when your break started and ended.
Time card calculator can calculate your payroll based on your hourly rate. Simply enable the "Show pay" option, enter your hourly rate (and currency), and the calculator will calculate and show the payment info next to total hours.
The calculator can show how many overtime hours you've worked once you enabled "Show overtime". You can change whether overtime starts after 8h/day, 40h/week, or custom. The calculator can even use a different hourly rate for overtime hours when calculating pay once you've enabled "Use overtime rate".
Once you're finished entering data, you can print your time card and give it your manager. You can also download your time card in CSV format (which can be opened in Excel) for personal archive. To save the time card as PDF in Chrome: click Print, under "Destination" instead of your printer select "Save as PDF", and click Save.
Customizing time card
You can enter your name in the top left corner of the calculator, select a different date, and, if you turn on the "Add note when printing" option, enter a custom note which will appear on paper/PDF. If you don't work over weekend, you can switch to the 5-day workweek and Saturday and Sunday won't be displayed..
Saving time cards
If you want to access your time cards later, you can enter time in Clockify timesheet.
Learn more about: How to calculate payroll | Average hourly rates
How can time card calculator help you?
- There are several uses of a Time Card calculator. Specifically, it helps with:
- Keeping employee attendance records in order to monitor employee attendance and absences
- Logging daily and weekly work and break time
- Getting the data necessary to correctly process payrolls
- Gathering statistics on productivity at the office
- Calculating billable rates per hour worked
- Generating and sending out accurate reports to clients
In general, the Time Cards give a company the accurate information it needs in order to keep and process payroll and other necessary documentation, build a reputation as a reliable and accountable business among clients, as well as carry out operations that lead to better employee efficiency and the required cost-saving changes.
Who is this timesheet calculator for?
- A number of professionals use the data entered in Time Card calculators:
- Lawyers and other professionals who bill by the hour, in order to keep track of client hours and billable rates for their services
- Accountants, in order to keep everything in check by tracking employee timesheets and calculating billable rates for clients
- Payroll departments, in order to process payroll for multiple employees
- Freelancers, in order to show the clients the accurate time spent on client projects and the amount they're due for freelancer services
The advantages of Clockify Time Card calculator
There are several benefits to entering time in a Time Card calculator. Namely, you'll:
- Reduce the amount of time you waste, and improve your project management
- Bill your clients accurately, and make sure you get appropriately paid for the time you worked automate your billing process
- Get an easy way to enter your time data
Want to do more with a timesheet calculator?
Clockify is a free employee time clock app, timesheet app, and attendance tracking software that works as a simple, yet more polished and enhanced automatic Time Card calculator.
You and your team can easily enter all your weekly time in a timesheet.
Once you've entered your data, you can go to the Reports to view total hours and earning, and export everything in a PDF file.