Clockify Desktop app for Windows is a native Windows 10 application that enables you to track time right from your desktop, without having to open Clockify in a browser.
Download Clockify for Windows →
Supports Windows 7 and higher
Download Clockify for Linux →
Supports Ubuntu 14 and higher
Before you can start tracking time, you first have to log into your Clockify account (you can create one here for free).
Once you have an account, type your email and password to log in.
If you've registered via Google and want to set a password, you can do so in your Profile Settings on the web version (your login username is your Gmail address).
Login into Windows app
When you click on the Login link, it will redirects you to the web app. And once you log in, it will automatically log you to the Win app too.
Custom domain and subdomain login on Windows app #
Self-hosted users (Server plan) or users with an Enterprise plan with a subdomain can log in to the Windows app. But, you need to use the custom domain (for self-hosted users) or subdomain link (the Enterprise plan users):
- Find the “Custom domain" (Self-hosted) or “Subdomain" (Enterprise) link at the bottom of the login screen
- Enter your server address or subdomain and click Submit
- Log in with your e-mail and password or SSO (Single sign-on)
Time tracking #
You can keep track of your time in Clockify Windows app in two ways:
- Use timer – Simply write what you’re working on and start the timer with one click
- Add time manually – Enter how much you’ve worked (eg. 1.5 for 1h30min) and click “Add”
Add time manually #
To add time, first change time tracking mode by clicking on the menu icon in the upper right corner and choosing “Manual”. Then, you can enter the duration, and click Add.
Continue timer #
You can quickly continue a timer from a previous time entry:
- Find time entry for which you want to continue tracking time
- Click on its play icon
- A new timer will pick up that time entry’s details (description, project, tag, billability) and start ticking
Edit time details #
You can edit any time entry simply by clicking on them and changing whatever you want to change:
- Add project and task
- Add tags
- Change description
- Change start/end time and duration
- Mark as billable
To delete a time entry, click on a time entry to bring out its details, and click Delete.
Create a project, client or tag #
To create a project or tag:
- Tap to edit a time entry
- Select Add project/Add tag
- In the dropdown click "Create new project" or "Create new tag"
- If you're adding a project, input the project's name and select color then tap "Add Project". Optionally, you can also select the client and mark the project as billable by default. If you're adding a tag, simply type in the name of the tag and tap "Add".
A client can only be created when creating a new project. To create a client:
- Tap to edit a time entry
- Select Add project
- In the dropdown click "Create new project"
- Tap "Select client" then "Create new client"
- Type in the client's name and tap "Add"
You can simply cancel the project creation then if you just want to add a client.
Note: Regular (non-admin) users aren’t able to create clients, projects, and tags if they are not granted these permissions. To give them such permissions, log in via Web browser and enable this in the Workspace Settings - Permissions.
Auto tracker #
You can see how much time you spend across programs and create timesheets based on your activity.
To start recording activities automatically, click on the A icon and then click "Start Recording".
Auto tracker will track websites and programs that you view for more than 15 seconds (apps you use less than that won't show up). You can override this in Auto tracker's settings.
- All recorded data is stored locally on your computer (nothing is sent online).
- Only you can view the recorded activities.
- You can view past data up to on week.
- Data older than 7 days is deleted forever automatically.
- URL of visited websites (you can disable this in settings).
- Idle column show percentage of how much time you've been active vs inactive (no mouse or keyboard movement).
You can create time entries in Clockify based on the recorded activities by clicking on the plus (+) sign next to the activity. If you don't need to see already added activities in the table, you can disable it in Auto tracker's settings.
You can also select and add multiple entries at once.
To select multiple items, click on one item and hold Shift and click on another to select everything between, or hold Ctrl and click on individual items to add or remove them from selection.
Right-click on selected items to:
- Bulk add - each item is added as a separate time entry in Clockify (you can add project/task/tag, but each entry retains its original description)
- Bulk merge - all selected items are added as one time entry in Clockify (each description is added, start time is taken from the earliest record, and all durations are summarized and used to calculate end time)
- Delete - items are forever cleared from the activity table
Menu options #
To find the app's menu tap on the little hamburger menu icon located in the upper right-hand corner. In this menu you can:
- Choose Manual or Timer entry mode
- Switch workspace
- Go to Settings
- Visit the Dashboard on the Web
- Log out
Settings are located in Menu, the hamburger icon in the top right. In the app's settings, you will find the following options:
- Default project
- Enable dark mode
- Enable autotracker
- Ctrl+S - Start the timer
- Ctrl+T - Stop the timer
- Ctrl+N - Enter manual time entry mode
- Shift + Ctrl + S - Save time entry when editing
- Ctrl+Y - Sync data
- Ctrl+L - Log out
Default project #
If you work on the same project every day, set a default project. Then, all you have to do is type what you're working on and start the timer, and the project will be selected automatically.
You can select:
- A fixed project, which will be always used when you start a timer for an entry without a project (until you change the default project)
- Or select "Last used project", and the timer will pick up the most recently used available project from your list of time entries
You can enable the default project in the app's Settings.
Offline support #
You can track time in Clockify Windows app even if you're offline.
You can create time entries manually or start/stop the timer. Entries made while offline will be saved locally on your computer. Once you get back online, they’ll get synced with your web account.
When you’re offline, you won’t be able to see your other time entries, only those that were created while you were offline and which haven’t been synced yet.
Projects, tasks, and tags are not available while offline.