Three user access levels #
- Admins, who can see and edit everything
- Regular users, who mostly track time
- Project managers, who can see everything on their projects
Note: anyone with a link can see a public saved report, even if they don’t have a Clockify account.
There are two types of admins:
- Owner (the person who created the workspace)
- Regular admin (anyone who’s added to Admins user group).
The difference between admin and owner:
- Only the owner can remove people from Admins group.
- Only the owner can transfer the owner role to someone else.
- When the owner leaves the workspace (or deletes their account), the whole workspace is deleted, forever.
There can be more than one admin, but there is only one owner. The owner can transfer the owner role to someone else anytime.
Only admins can:
- Give other people admin rights
- Assign people to user groups
- Invite people to the workspace
- Set users as inactive/active
- See and define hourly rates for workspace and team members
- Create user groups, tags, and clients
- See all time entries at all times, and edit them in Detailed report
- See and edit all projects
- See status of all projects
- Give and revoke manager rights on all projects
- Change project visibility and change estimate option
- Edit workspace settings
Regular users #
Everyone you invite on a workspace is a regular user by default.
They can become an admin if an existing admin adds them to Admins user group.
Regular users can become a project manager if they create a project (if enabled); or if an admin or an existing project manager gives them manager rights on a project.
Regular users can:
- Create time entries
- Select any tag when tracking time
- See personal dashboard (and Team Dashboard, if not disabled)
- When tracking time, select a public project or a private project they are members of
- See emails of other users in the workspace (including inactive), and who belongs to what user group
- See their time entries in reports (plus, see other people’s time entries, if not disabled)
- Create projects and automatically gain Manager role for that project (if enabled)
- Mark tasks as done
- Create their own workspace
- Edit only their time entries on Time Tracking page and in Detailed report
Project managers #
Project managers are regular users who have a Manager role on a project. The user who creates a project is automatically the manager of that project.
Manager rights apply only to projects where they have the Manager role. There can be more than one manager on a project.
Project managers can be set and changed in the project’s Team tab.
- Edit project name, color, and client
- Add and edit tasks
- Add users and user groups to their project
- See and edit their project members’ hourly rates
- Give and revoke manager rights on their project
- Delete their projects
- See their project’s status
- See all tracked time for their projects in reports
Who can see and edit time entries #
Admins can see and edit all time entries at all times.
Everyone else (regular users and project managers) can:
- See and edit time entries they made
- See all time entries others made (if not disabled with private time entries)
Who can see what hourly rates #
- If you set “Who can see billable rates” to Admins only:
- Regular users won’t see any earnings in reports or hourly rates anywhere
- Project managers will only see earnings in their project’s status. But, they won’t see any earnings in reports (not even for their projects)
- If you set “Who can see billable rates” to Everyone:
- Regular users will be able to see earnings for all time entries on public projects and for all time entries they made
Only admins can see and edit workspace hourly rates, team member hourly rates, and project hourly rates. Both admins and project managers can see and edit project members’ hourly rates.