Three user access levels #
- Admins, who can see and edit everything
- Regular users, who mostly track time
- Project managers, who can see everything on their projects
Note: anyone with a link can see a public saved report, even if they don’t have a Clockify account.
|Track time||On public and their private projects||For anything|
|See time||Own and other’s |
|All time on their project||All|
|Edit time||Own time |
|Rates||See rates and amounts |
|Edit rates on their project|
|See and edit all|
|Edit their projects and see status||See and edit all|
|Users||See other members|
|Add members to their projects||All|
(Only Owner can take away admin rights)
|Workspace||Create new workspace|
(unless on subdomain)
|Edit workspace settings|
(Only owner can delete workspace)
There are two types of admins:
- Owner (the person who created the workspace)
- Regular admin (anyone who’s added to Admins group).
The difference between admin and owner:
- Only the owner can remove people from Admins group.
- Only the owner can transfer the owner role to someone else.
- When the owner leaves the workspace (or deletes their account), the whole workspace is deleted, forever.
There can be more than one admin, but there is only one owner. The owner can transfer the owner role to someone else anytime.
Only admins can:
- Give other people admin rights
- Assign people to groups
- Invite people to the workspace
- Set users as inactive/active
- See and define hourly rates for workspace and team members
- Create groups, tags, and clients
- See all time entries at all times, and edit them in Detailed report
- See and edit all projects
- See status of all projects
- Give and revoke manager rights on all projects
- Change project visibility and change estimate option
- Edit workspace settings
Regular users #
Everyone you invite on a workspace is a regular user by default.
They can become an admin if an existing admin adds them to Admins group.
Regular users can become a project manager if they create a project (if enabled in workspace settings); or if an admin or an existing project manager gives them manager rights on a project.
Regular users can:
- When tracking time, select a public project or a private project they are members of
- Select any tag when tracking time (and create tag, if not disabled in workspace settings)
- See personal dashboard (and Team Dashboard, if not disabled in workspace settings)
- See all active and inactive users, and who belongs to what group
- Create projects and automatically gain Manager role for that project (if not disabled in workspace settings)
- See and edit their own time entries (as long as they’re not locked)
- See other people’s time entries (if not disabled in workspaces settings)
Project managers #
Project managers are regular users who have a Manager role on a project. The user who creates a project is automatically the manager of that project.
Manager rights apply only to projects where they have the Manager role. There can be more than one manager on a project.
Project managers can be set and changed in the project’s Access tab.
- See and edit all details of their projects
- See and edit tasks of their projects
- Add and remove people to their project, plus give and revoke manager rights
- See and edit project hourly rates (if “Who can see billable rates and amounts” is set to Everyone)
- Delete their projects
- See their project’s status
- See all tracked time for their projects in reports
Who can see and edit time entries #
Admins can see and edit all time entries at all times.
Everyone else (regular users and project managers) can:
- See and edit time entries they made
- See all time entries others made (if not disabled in workspace settings)
So by default, everyone in your workspace can see all time entries. Once you have extra features enabled, you can prevent regular users from being able to see other people’s time entries in workspace settings when you set “Regular users can see: Only their own time”.
Who can see hourly rates and amounts #
- If you set “Who can see billable rates and amounts” to Admins only, regular users and managers won’t see any monetary amounts in reports or hourly rates anywhere
- If you set “Who can see billable rates and amounts” to Everyone, regular users will be able to see amounts for all time entries on public projects and for all time entries they made, and managers will be able to edit hourly rates on projects they manage
Admins can see and edit all hourly rates (workspace, team member, and project).