When you first create a Clockify account, you automatically get a workspace. A workspace contains all the time entries, projects, people, and settings.
You can create and/or be part of multiple workspaces.
Multiple workspaces are useful when you want to have a separate account for each sub-company or a department. This way, things won’t mix up and you can have different access levels.
For example, if you have two companies or departments, you can create two workspaces, and invite different people to each one. Then, you can switch between them as needed.
Or, you can a be a team member in one workspace and track time for the company you work for, plus have a personal workspace where you’ll keep track of personal stuff and be admin.
Everything in Clockify is tied to a specific workspace, so time entries you made in one workspace aren’t visible in another.
Only Admins of a workspace can see and edit Workspace settings. There, you can:
- Enable Timesheet View
- Change currency and workspace name
- Set workspace hourly rate
- Upload company logo (which will be displayed in branded reports)
- Control who can see hourly rates and create projects
- Create, edit, and delete user groups, tags, and clients
- Manage extra features (like private time entries, lock timesheets, required fields, and time rounding)
Anyone can create a workspace by going to Workspaces and clicking “+ Create new workspace”.
When you create a workspace, you are automatically that workspace’s original admin (which means only you can remove people from Admins user group). Learn more who can do what here.
Switching between workspaces #
If you’re a part of more than one workspace (either as admin or a regular member), you can switch between them anytime you want.
You can switch by:
- Hovering over your profile picture and clicking on the workspace you want to switch to
- Or by going to Workspaces and clicking Activate
Changing the workspace will affect all pages and settings, except User settings (which are the same across workspaces).
Leaving a workspace #
You can leave a workspace by going to Workspaces and clicking the exit icon that’s next to the Settings button.
You can’t leave an Active workspace; to leave, you first have to switch to another workspace.
Be careful when leaving a workspace:
- If you leave a workspace you’ve created, the whole workspace will get deleted. All time entries and settings will disappear and users who are part of that workspace won’t be able to access it ever again (even if they’re admins).
- If you leave a workspace that you didn’t create, to return, someone who’s in that workspace needs to invite you again (and you need to accept the new invite).
Closing a workspace #
When the person who created the workspace leaves it, the workspace is deleted automatically, forever.
This can’t be reversed. Once a workspace is closed, it can’t be reopened.