Manage holidays, vacations, and other types of leave, and track accrual and balances.
Time off is an extra feature, which you can enable by upgrading your workspace to Standard, Pro, or Enterprise plan. You can try out the feature for free by activating the free 7-day trial (no credit card required).
Creating and managing policies #
Before anyone can request time off, you first need to enable Time off in Workspace Settings and define a time off policy.
You can access all your policies and create new ones on the Time off page by clicking on the settings icon.
You can have multiple policies, one for each type of employee.
Each policy has several fields that affects only that policy:
- Assignee - only team members you add to the policy will be able to request time off for it
- Time unit - you can track time off and balance in days (like vacation) or hours (like banked hours ie. time off in lieu)
- Requires approval - your team members can submit time off requests, which managers or specific members can approve (admins can approve time off for everyone). If left unchecked, all requests are automatically approved when submitted.
- Allow negative balance - if checked, team members can request time off even if they don't have enough available days/hours (you can use this option for Sick leave)
- Allow half day - if time off policy is calculated in days, you can let people ask for a half-day leave
You can archive policies that are no longer used (eg. Vacation 2021) by clicking on the three dots next to the policy, as well as restore or delete them the same way.
When you archive a policy, all balances and requests remain, but team members can't choose the archived policy when requesting time off. Deleting a policy deletes all the requests and balances for that policy.
Managing non-working days #
You can define and manage holidays on the Time off page when you click on settings icon, and define working days in Workspace Settings (by default, Saturday and Sunday is counted as non-working).
You can create multiple holidays and assign different people to them (eg. if some people don't get time off for a specific holiday).
When people request time off, holidays and weekends won't count. For example, if someone requests Jan 1 - Jan 7 for time off - and Jan 1 is holiday, Jan 2 is Saturday, and Jan 3 is Sunday - their total request will be 4 days for time off.
You can delete or edit holidays by clicking on three dots. Deleting or changing working days doesn't impact existing time off requests.
Requesting time off #
- Go to Time off page
- Click "Request time off"
- Choose time off policy (you can see all policies and how many days/hours you have available in the dropdown)
- Specify period (holidays and weekends won't be counted toward total)
- Add an optional note for the approver
- Click Submit
If you don't have enough balance (and the policy doesn't allow for negative balance), you won't be able to select that policy.
If you made a mistake, you can withdraw your pending or approved request by clicking on the three dots next to your request (when approved request is withdrawn, your manager and admin will receive an email).
Once someone submits the request, the person responsible for approving that request (as defined in the policy) will get an email. Admins receive email if they're the only one who can approve requests for that policy.
Once a request is approved (or rejected), the person who has requested the time off and their team manager will receive an email.
Approving time off #
When a member requests time off, the person responsible for that policy will get an email (either their team manager, or a specific person for the whole policy).
You can approve requests on the Time off page in Requests tab, which lists all requests that you can approve.
You can filter all requests by status (pending, approved, rejected), and by a specific team member.
You can reject a request and write a note, and the person who made the request will get an email. You can also reject already approved requests if there was a mistake.
You can click on the note icon to see submission and reject notes, and hover over the status label to see who approved the request and when.
If a person doesn't have enough days/hours, and the policy doesn't allow negative balance, the request's total will be red and the request can't be approved.
Viewing leaves #
You can see all team members who have scheduled leaves in the Timeline tab, which can help managers plan resources and help team members synchronize leaves with their team's.
You can see leaves for the next 30 days, or choose a custom time range.
You can choose in workspace settings if everyone has access to seeing who's away and when, or only admins and respective team managers (in which case, a user will see only their requests on the timeline).
Only people who have time off in that period will show up on the timeline:
- Green - approved time off
- Orange - pending time off that needs approval
- Gray - holiday time off
Managing accruals #
Balance tab shows you how much time off each member has for each policy, how much they've used up, and see detailed log of changes in their balance history.
You can view balance by policy (eg. vacation balance for each team member) or by user (eg. balance for each policy for a specific user).
Regular users can see balance history only for their own policies, admins can see everyone's, and team managers can see their team members':
- Accrued - how many days or hours a person received
- Used - how many days or hours a person used up by requesting time off
- Available - how many days or hours a person has left which they can use when requesting time off (accrued minus used)
Before people can take time off, you first need to give them days (or hours), which they can use up when requesting time off:
- If a person doesn't have any time accrued, you can set initial balance by clicking Add
- You can add or remove accrual days/hours by clicking on the three dots (and leave a comment why the person received or lost time off)
- You can add or remove days/hours in bulk when you view balance grouped by policy, and then check for which users you wish to add/remove time off
When admin adds or removes time off manually, the accrued columns gets updated.
When a person's balance is manually updated (via add or remove), they and their team manager will receive an email.
Balance history #
If you need to know why a certain person has X number of days, you can click on the three dots and click History.
- Regular users can see only their own balance, as well as balance history.
- Admins can see balance for each person, as well as add or remove accrued days/hours.
- Team managers can see balance and balance history for all their members, but can't edit it.
Balance history lists all the time off requests a person made, their status, and changes to their accrual: you can see what was changed, when, and who made it:
- Pending and approved requests remove time from the balance
- Rejected and withdrawn requests add back the original time to the balance
- Admin's manual action can add or remove from accrued balance (eg. a member receives days off when a new period starts, or they work overtime and receive time in lieu)