Projects are useful for grouping and categorizing time entries that belong to the same type of work. Projects make it easier to analyze data, generate more useful reports, and see where and how you spend time.
Each project typically belongs to some client, but you can create a project without a client (e.g. internal company stuff).
Keep in mind that a client can have many projects, but a project can belong to only one client.
Creating a project on the Project page #
By default, only admins can create projects but you can allow regular users to create projects and clients when you set Who can create projects and clients to Everyone in your Workspace settings.
To create a project:
- Add a client (go to Clients, enter client name, and click Add)
- Go to Projects and click “+ Create new project”
- Name the project
- Select client (you can also create a new client here, by typing a name and clicking “Create client”)
- Choose a project color
- Choose visibility (public or private)
- Click “Create project”
Once you’ve created a project, you can select it when tracking time. If you’ve set the project as private (visible only to a certain user group), then only people who are on the project will be able to select it when tracking time.
Creating a project on the Time Tracker page #
You can also add a project directly from the Time Tracker page while creating a new time entry.
Click on the “+Project” field to get a drop-down list of projects and start typing the name of your new project. Once you start typing the drop-down list will try to suggest a matching (existing) project name.
If that project does not exist you will be offered the option to create a new project.
You can either:
- Click on the “+ Create new project” button and a popup window with additional options will appear allowing you to name your project, assign a client, apply a project template and select if the project will be public or private.
- Use a keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Enter to quickly create a project without additional details
Creating a client #
If you’re an owner or an admin, simply go to Clients, enter client name, and click Add.
If you want regular users to be able to add clients:
- Set “Who can create projects and clients” to Everyone (regular users still won’t be able to see the Client’s page in the sidebar, but they can create clients when they create a new project or when they edit an existing project).
- Create a project or open to edit an existing one
- Click “Select client”
- Enter client name
- Click “Create client”
Archiving projects #
Once you complete a project, you can archive it, so it’s no longer visible when tracking time.
To archive a project:
- Go to the Projects page
- Click three dots next to project you want to archive
- Select Archive
To see archived projects, click the Active filter at the top of the page and change it to Archived.
To restore an archived project, click three dots next to it and select Restore.
When you archive a project:
- All its data is still available
- Project’s time entries will still be shown in reports
- Archived projects won’t appear in reports as filters
- Archived project won’t be available when tracking time
- Archived projects won’t appear on Projects page (unless you select Archived in the filter)
Filtering and sorting projects #
When you have a lot of projects, it can be difficult finding what you need. That’s when filters come in handy.
You can filter projects by client, users who are part of it, billability, and name.
You can sort projects alphabetically by clicking Project˅˄ on the header of the project table.
Creating projects from a template #
If you have a lot of similar projects, it’s a good idea to set up a template so you don’t have to create the same project over and over.
Projects you create with an existing template will have settings such as Billable Rates, Estimates, Tasks and Team already applied.